Post War - Wynndean - Ocean Grove
It was during the post war Immigration boom 1949, that Jack and Audrey were approached by the Immigration Department to provide temporary accommodation for immigrant families.
Through the purchasing of rationed building materials, the original 8 bungalows were rapidly increased to 65. Many were built by the immigrant men arriving ahead of their families and assisting with the construction.
For almost 10 years many hundreds of families emigrating from Europe arrived in Melbourne and travelled directly to Wynndean as their first home in Australia. Their boxes (wooden shipping containers) usually arrived some weeks later.
During this period we had busses travelling from Wynndean to Geelong night and day (Green Star Buslines - Red Snake) for shift work at International Harvester, Fords and Pelaco.
A real community spirit existed not only in Wynndean but in a rapidly developing Ocean Grove.
Most of the original immigrants were Polish, German and Ukraine and towards the end of this period Dutch and some British. Many of the families purchased or built in Ocean Grove however, most moved to Geelong.
The average length of stay in Wynndean was around 12 to 18 months during which time enough money was saved for a house deposit.
The Lont family at Wynndean in 1954
An example of the growth in population that Ocean Grove enjoyed during this period can be gauged from the school enrolments. It was a one teacher school with 11 pupils in 1949?? and in 1958 there were 9 staff and 280 pupils.
Towards the end of the 50's the rate of emigration slowed and Wynndean reverted back to the Holiday Resort role and saw the expansion of sites and cabins to 400 during the early 60's.
Fishing party with catch from Swan Bay, caught from Wynndean’s “Kingfisher” boat